Frequently Asked Questions
Menstrual related symptoms:
- Heavy menstrual cycles
- Prolonged menstrual cycles
- Painful menstrual cycles (pelvic cramps)
- Increase in urinary frequency
- Back and leg pain
- Pelvic pressure
- Abdominal bloating
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) show that fibroids shrink an average of 50 percent three months after UFE.
The success rate is over 90 percent for women who suffer from heavy menstrual cycles, and 85 percent for women with bulk-related symptoms.
The procedure is usually covered by most companies for women with symptomatic fibroids.
Post-embolization syndrome is a common side effect, which includes pelvic pain, low-grade fever, nausea and vomiting.
Other side effects include:
- Temporary absence of menstrual cycle
- Premature menopause in older women
- Passage of fibroids
- Vaginal discharge/infection