In This Section
Tips for Success on the Ketogenic Diet
- Do not be concerned about the initial fasting process in the Hospital when starting the diet; most people handle it surprisingly well. When fasting and entering ketosis, people typically do not crave food and in general feel well.
- Getting into a routine when fixing meals should make things easier, and the longer you are on the diet the easier it becomes.
- You may feel hungry. Using water with saccharin or splitting meals in half may help to fight hunger pains.
- Use a small salad plate to present each meal because the smaller plate makes it look as though you are getting more food.
- If you love dessert, keep a stock of homemade cream popsicles in the freezer; these can be calculated into your meal plans by your nutritionist.
- Keep a few pre-prepared meals in small plastic containers in your refrigerator (label them carefully) for use if you are not at home.
- Steam vegetables for the best nutritional value.
- Be creative with your meal choices.
- Cut foods into interesting shapes to make them more appealing.
- Buy yourself a treat if you are able to stick with the diet after the first month.