The Advanced Heart Failure and Heart Transplant specialists at Jefferson Health are among the most experienced in the Philadelphia region.
Our Excellent and Recognized Care
Jefferson is certified by the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), which administers the nation's policies on organ transplantation and procurement. If you require or have had a transplant, you may benefit from our treatment that's clinically indicated to prevent or treat rejection.
Our Transplant program features a team of experienced specialists and coordinators who work with you and your family to provide personal support for all the medical and emotional needs that can accompany a heart transplant.
A Commitment to Quality
The comprehensive transplant evaluation at Jefferson is designed and conducted to reach a decision about transplantation as soon as possible. We pride ourselves on our quality as well as efficiency of care. Jefferson Health has:
- One of the highest patient survival rates in the Delaware Valley for heart transplants and heart plus other organ combination transplants
- Physicians who have collectively cared for more than 1,200 heart transplant patients and actively participate in the care of patients who have congestive heart failure, cardiomyopathies and ventricular assist devices (VAD)
- Surgical teams who perform multiple organ transplants for patients who have serious illnesses and multiple organ failure
- One of the highest volumes of VAD procedures in the Philadelphia region
- An Independence Blue Cross Blue Distinction Center for Transplants® for adult heart transplants
- Clinical trials that use innovative drugs and monitoring devices not widely available at other cardiac treatment centers
Jefferson Health facilities are also:
- Some of the few hospitals in the nation to offer the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart
- Certified by The Joint Commission for Ventricular Assist Device Destination Therapy
Ventricular Assist Device (VAD):
An Alternative to Heart Transplant
A VAD is a mechanical device that is used to take over the pumping function for the heart's left ventricle. A VAD may be required to support the heart in order to ensure that the amount of blood pumped out by the heart per minute is enough to meet the body's needs. Jefferson has Advanced Certification by the Joint Commission as a VAD Destination Therapy Facility.
Jefferson is also one of the only hospitals in the Philadelphia area to offer the most advanced ventricular assist device (VAD) – the HeartMate III® in addition to the HeartMate II® and Jarvik® – as an alternative to a heart transplant or as a temporary remedy while waiting for a heart.
Leading the Way in Research
The Jefferson Advanced Heart Failure program is actively involved in major clinical trials, including those involving VAD devices like the HeartMate III® and the Jarvik® as well as the use of aspirin with the HeartMate II®, just to name a few.
To learn more about the clinical trials with which we participate, contact us or schedule an appointment today.
Make an Appointment
Learn more about our heart transplant procedure and advanced heart failure treatment at Jefferson Health.
Call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669) to schedule an appointment online.