Electrophysiology is the treatment of heart arrhythmias, or rhythm disorders, and related conditions. Jefferson cardiac electrophysiologists use electrophysiological (EP) studies to assess the electrical activity of the heart and pinpoint the location and severity of a possible arrhythmia.
Latest Technologies to Treat Heart Rhythm Disorders
Our physicians are equipped with the latest technologies to treat disorders from common arrhythmias, like atrial fibrillation, to arrhythmias that are life-threatening. Our advanced capabilities include:
- Remote ICD monitoring – Jefferson is one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to offer advanced ICDs that allow our physicians to monitor a patient's condition remotely over the Internet. This reduces unnecessary hospital visits and inconvenience for patients who have to travel long distances.
- Radiofrequency catheter ablation – Our physicians use this advanced procedure to deliver radio waves that destroy tissue causing heart rhythm disorders such as atrial fibrillation.
- Computer-aided diagnostic evaluation techniques – These include computerized mapping systems, which our physicians use to precisely locate rhythm disorders.
- Biventricular pacing – Through this innovative procedure, a pacemaker-like device helps heart failure patients by synchronizing the beating of the two lower heart chambers.
- Biplane X-ray – A new technology for superior imaging with minimal discomfort for patients