About Secure E-Mail at Jefferson
In order to protect your privacy and ensure that communication between you and our JEFF NOW® representatives is secure and confidential, all of our e-mail correspondence will be encrypted.
Jefferson University Hospitals have partnered with ZixCorp to provide the encryption services. ZixCorp's e-messaging protection makes it easy for you to receive, read and reply to all communications with JEFF NOW.
How to Access Your Secure E-mail
- To retrieve your secure e-mail, click on the e-mail message you received from JEFF NOW.
- To view the secure message, click where instructed.
- You will be taken to a Password Creation screen. Create a password and click Submit. You will use this password each time you log in to the secure message center – your e-mail address will be auto filled.
- Your e-mail will open and you will have the following options:
- Reply & Forward Options – can only be used to send back to a JEFF NOW representative
- Delete – deletes the message
- More Actions – allows the message to be saved as a text file on your PC
- Expires – message expires in 30 days. Any correspondence will expire 30 days after the last interaction
- Inbox – contains all correspondence with JEFF NOW over the last 30 days
- Address – for JEFF NOW e-mail contacts
- Compose – allows you to compose a secure e-mail to a JEFF NOW representative
- Sent Mail – contains last 30 days of secure e-mails sent to JEFF NOW representatives
- Drafts – allows you to save an e-mail in a draft format before sending
- Help – instructions on how to use the Zix Encryption Services
- Log out – log out of Zix Encryption Services
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are we implementing secure messaging?
With the adoption of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), it is required that all communications containing Protected Health Information (PHI) be secured. PHI refers to information that identifies you with a disease or condition or test or treatment. Since e-mail communication between you and JEFF NOW representatives typically involves scheduling appointments with healthcare providers, we felt it was important to protect the confidentiality of that information, so that only YOU have access to the information.
What is secure messaging?
Secure Messaging is the automatic process of sending encrypted e-mail messages using ZixCorp's Best Method of Delivery℠.
When will the e-mail message expire?
The message expiration date for this system is 30 days. You are always able to see the maximum number of days a message will remain in the system by looking in the header section of the message as well as in the Expiration Date column in the Inbox and Sent Message views.
Once the expiration date has been reached, the message contents and attachments are securely deleted. Messages should be saved on your local computer if you need to retain them for any reason.
What is the maximum size of attachments?
Attachments are supported as part of the Compose, Forward and Reply actions. You can click on the Attach Files button and select the file(s) you wish to attach to the message. The maximum number of files that can be attached is 10, and their total file size cannot exceed 15MB.
Are there restrictions on who I can send e-mails to using this secure system?
Users with registered TJUH/Zix e-mail accounts are restricted to sending messages to @jefferson.edu and @jeffersonhospital.org e-mail accounts.
What is the session time-out?
You will be logged out of the system after 20 minutes of inactivity.
When are e-mail accounts purged?
The TJUH/Zix e-mail account is purged when there is 12 months of inactivity.
How do I know if my message was sent securely?
You will receive an e-mail notification each time a message is sent to the TJUH/Zix secure message center informing you that the message has been sent.