On the Day of Discharge
On the day of your discharge, you will want to make definite plans for your transportation home and possibly send some of your belongings home in advance. If you have secured valuables in the Office of Patient and Family Experience, please notify your nurse so you may obtain them before your discharge.
If you will need assistance with medication, home infusion or for other medical needs, you should discuss this with your case manager. Case managers will make arrangements for you.
Valet parking is available at three locations on campus:
- 10th Street between Market and Chestnut Streets on the left side at the entrance to the 925 Chestnut Street building
- Sansom Street at the Emergency Department entrance near the corner of 10th Street
- 11th Street just past Sansom Street in front of the Hospital
Filling Prescriptions at the Jefferson Apothecary (Pharmacy)
The Apothecary is located in the 11th Street lobby of the Gibbon Building and is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. You can have take-home prescriptions filled there. Although your prescriptions cannot be applied to your hospital bill, the Apothecary can make arrangements for private insurance billing. For more information, please call 215-955-8845 or 5-8845 (from inside the Hospital).
We make every effort to see that patients are discharged between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Your nurse or physician will give you written discharge instructions before you leave to go home. It is extremely important that you follow those instructions. Be sure to ask your physician or nurse if you have any questions.
An escort with a wheelchair is available to assist you in leaving the Hospital. Please tell your nurse if you do not wish to have an escort.
- LogistiCare Transportation Services for Medicaid Patients - Please call 1-877-835-7412 to make reservations.
- Philadelphia Corporation for Aging (PCA) - Paratransit programs available. Please call 215-765-9040 for further assistance.
- American Cancer Society (ACS) Road to Recovery Program - Transportation for cancer patients to their treatments and home again. Call 1-800-ACS-2345 for more information.
- SEPTA CCT Connect - Provides ADA Paratransit Service to individuals with disabilities and senior citizens. The Shared-Ride Program is a door-to-door ride-sharing service for Philadelphia senior citizens 65 years of age. Call 215-580-7145 for more information.
We Want To Hear From You
We hope that your stay at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals meets your expectations, and we wish you a speedy recovery. Within a month after you arrive home, you may receive a survey. This survey asks patients about their experiences at Jefferson with topics such as:
- Doctor and nurse communication
- Medicine and discharge information
- Staff responsiveness
- Overall quality of the hospital environment
We hope that you will be candid in your comments, as this information helps us to continually improve our services to patients and for us to recognize staff members that were especially helpful.
Your final hospital bill will be sent to you after you are discharged. Pennsylvania state law requires us to send you a statement of charges incurred during your hospital stay, regardless of whether or not you owe a balance.