The medical staff of Jefferson's Electrophysiology Laboratory is among the most experienced in the Philadelphia region in diagnosing and treating patients with heart rhythm disorders, such as arrhythmias. Jefferson has set the standard in the region for arrhythmia care through a track record of outstanding patient care, groundbreaking scientific research and the use of innovative technologies and techniques.
Our electrophysiology specialists routinely treat arrhythmia with many noninvasive treatment options, such as DC cardioversion, drug-based therapy and radiofrequency catheter ablation, which can eliminate symptoms and the need for taking medications.
Advanced capabilities that set Jefferson apart in the care of arrhythmia include:
- Our electrophysiology specialists utilize the latest computer-aided diagnostic evaluation techniques, including computerized mapping systems, to precisely locate and assess rhythm disorders.
- Our physicians are leaders in the region in the use of an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) to stop life-threatening arrhythmia.
- Our arrhythmia specialists collaborate with cardiovascular surgeons to implant permanent pacemakers for conditions like bradyarrhythmias and biventricular pacemakers for cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT).
- Our surgeons are experienced in implanting cardioverter defibrillators for malignant ventricular arrhythmias associated with cardiac arrest.
- Our physicians have specialized expertise in dealing with implanted cardiac device malfunctions and complications. Jefferson is one of only a handful of health centers in the U.S. with experience in the laser extraction procedure, which treats complications of device leads (coated wiring that comes in contact with the bloodstream), including device-related blood infections.