Volunteer High School Programs
The High School Program Applications for Summer 2020 are currently suspended due to COVID-19. We are hopeful the program will reopen in April 2021. At that time, those who are selected will be contacted for an interview.
Current high school students who are 14 to 18 years of age are eligible to volunteer. High School students volunteer from the end of June until the end of August and usually work two 4-hour shifts per week. It is not possible to work longer shifts several days a week to complete your hours in a shorter amount of time. Placements are available in many areas.
Volunteers must be available for at least six weeks during July and August (plan vacation time accordingly).
Some first year high school student volunteers may not get to work in the department they wish due to our large number of volunteers. Also, sometimes we like you to work one summer in the hospital to get experience before we give you more challenging assignments.
One of he highlights of the summer volunteer program for high school students is a Career Day. During this event Jefferson healthcare providers and students speak about their areas of expertise. At this time, our young volunteers have the opportunity to ask questions. We appreciate the effort required to become a Jefferson volunteer, and we offer this day to help you with your pursuit of a career in the medical field.
Our volunteer coordinators will work with you to select the setting where you feel you can most contribute. You can choose from the following options:
- Clinical – work directly with patients and clinical staff to provide an optimal patient experience
- Clerical – assist Jefferson staff in one of our many departments and help with general office work, customer service and much more
- Service – deliver newspapers, sell candy, escort patients and family members among other critical responsibilities that help us make visitors to Jefferson feel at home
- Apply online – incorrect applications will become void (you will receive a confirmation email when your application has been received)
- All potential volunteers need to complete an online application and MUST download and complete the High School Volunteer Resume
- To start the application process, go to https://recruit.jefferson.edu. Type 'Volunteer' in the search box, press enter, scroll down to find “High School Volunteer (volunteer services) – Center City”. Then apply.
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a virtual interview.
- Selected candidates will be emailed the required documentation that must be filled out and submitted to complete application process.
- After successful completion of all clearances, candidates will be granted access to the online orientation.
- After emailing post-orientation documents to TJUH-Volunteers, email@example.com, candidates will be assigned orientation/training based on their department.
Candidates will be informed when they are ready for ID badge pick up. An ID badge is mandatory prior to first day of volunteer work.