Organ transplantation has come a long way over the past few decades. Even so, it's hard to hear that you need a new liver, heart, kidney or pancreas. You will undoubtedly have many concerns about this life-changing operation and what lies ahead, but one of your first and most important decisions is where to have your transplant surgery.
If you're looking for world-renowned doctors and a hospital system with one of the highest transplant survival rates in the nation, look no further than the Jefferson Transplant Institute in Philadelphia.
Transplant Institute Services
The Jefferson Transplant Institute offers the following subspecialty services for transplant patients:
The Nicoletti Kidney Transplant Center
Due to a generous gift from the Robert V. Nicoletti Family trust, Jefferson Health has been able to create a center that specializes in living kidney donation. The Center is a proud part of our Kidney Transplant Program.
Why Choose Jefferson for Transplant Surgery?
Successful Transplant Outcomes
Our team excels at surgical procedures resulting in improved patient outcomes, shorter recovery times and fewer complications. Our expert care and distinguished teams are recognized for:
- Surpassing national averages for liver, kidney and pancreas transplantation survival rates
- Receiving a five-star rating from the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients - placing our Transplant Institute among the top rated programs in the region for kidney and liver transplant outcomes
- Being designated an Aetna Institute of Excellence™ Transplant Facility for liver and kidney transplants
- Being an Optum Center of Excellence for liver, kidney and pancreas. Our pancreas program is the only Optum Center of Excellence in the Philadelphia region
- Performing hundreds of single organ transplant procedures annually
- Performing scores of dual organ transplants such as kidney, kidney and liver, and kidney and pancreas, annually
Decades of Transplant Excellence
Jefferson has a long history of transplant surgery innovation, and today remains a leading institution for transplant procedures and care:
- 1974 – Our first kidney transplant
- 1984 – The first liver transplant in the Delaware Valley
- 2003 – Our first heart transplant and the first paired kidney transplant
- 2007 – Implantation of the Jarvik®2000 ventricular assist device in a patient with heart failure as a bridge to transplant
- 2010 – One of the first hospitals in the U.S. to use a totally artificial liver dialysis machine as a bridge to transplant for a patient with acute liver failure
Our Team Approach to Your Individualized Care
One of Jefferson's hallmarks is our multidisciplinary team approach to your care. A personally assigned transplant coordinator helps you through every step of the transplant process — from your initial evaluation and tests, to placement on the organ waitlist, to preparing for the transplantation surgery and ongoing follow-up.
At Jefferson, you often see all your specialists in one day, so you won't need to schedule multiple visits to meet with all your care providers. Our team of highly experienced physicians, nurses and counselors works as quickly as possible to outline a transplant strategy tailored for your unique physical, psychological and financial situation. Our continuity of care includes putting you in touch with a support network of specially trained nurses, social workers and fellow transplant survivors.
Convenient Locations in the Delaware Valley for Pre- and Postoperative Care
Jefferson's ongoing "Patient for Life" commitment includes a personalized plan for monitoring your health along with your primary care or referring physician.
While your transplant will be performed at our Center City Philadelphia location, our patients who find it more convenient can elect to receive their preoperative care including evaluation and postoperative care at Main Line Health's Lankenau Medical Center in Montgomery County.
Jefferson Transplant Institute's other satellite facilities include South Philadelphia; Newark, Delaware (hepatology and liver transplant); and two locations in South Jersey. In 2015, our Transplant Institute expanded to Doylestown, PA, in Bucks County. Also in 2015, we're implementing telemedicine (telecommunications technology) for remote evaluations and postoperative patient care.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Transplant Institute Team
Call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669) for a personal consultation.