Jefferson Sarcoma & Bone Tumor Center
Among the Nation's Best for Orthopedics
U.S.News & World Report named Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the best hospitals in the nation for Orthopedics.
If you or a loved one is diagnosed with bone cancer, turn to the experts of the Jefferson Sarcoma and Bone Tumor Center in Philadelphia. Our Center combines the oncology services of the NCI-designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University with the orthopedic expertise of the Rothman Orthopaedics at Jefferson Health.
For optimal convenience, patients are evaluated by a team of experts in a wide variety of fields, all in a single visit.
We focus on providing the highest quality oncologic resections of extremity bone and soft tissue malignancies while preserving maximal function. In the vast majority of cases, we are able to perform limb-salvage surgery so our patients can continue to maintain their lifestyles.
Advantages of Choosing Jefferson for Bone Cancer & Soft Tissue Sarcoma Treatment in Philadelphia
- The Jefferson Sarcoma and Bone Tumor Center functions as one of the nation's few complete sarcoma centers. Studies have shown that patients with sarcoma who are treated at sarcoma centers have better overall outcomes than those who are not.
- To help ease stress, our Center provides patients with a Patient Navigator who helps with scheduling appointments, provides referring physicians with follow-up letters, counsels patients' families or caregivers and coordinates access to clinical trials.
- Our physicians have considerable expertise in treating rare and difficult types of bone cancers affecting either upper (arms) or lower limbs (legs, feet), including chondrosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma, osteosarcoma and soft tissue sarcoma.
- Dr. John Abraham, director of the Center, is pioneering the application of surgical navigation in sarcoma surgery, which is useful for performing resections in difficult locations, particularly the pelvis.
- A dedicated team of anesthesiologists and rehabilitation medicine physicians have developed protocols specifically for musculoskeletal oncology patients that optimize their experience not only while undergoing surgery but also during rehabilitation and subsequent return to function.
- Although chance of recurrence of some high-grade tumors may be as high as 10 to 15 percent, recurrence among Jefferson patients is low, thanks to not only the quality of orthopedic oncology surgery and radiation therapy but also diligent routine monitoring.
Orthopedic Oncology Services Available in Philadelphia & South Jersey
- Complete management of sarcoma, benign lesions of bone and soft tissue, metastatic disease to skeleton and extremities
- Routine orthopedic surgery in oncology patients
- Management of orthopedic complications of oncology treatment
- Evaluation and treatment of spinal tumors in conjunction with Jefferson's Spine Program
- Chemotherapy and clinical trials
- Subspecialty imaging and pathology review
At the Jefferson Sarcoma and Bone Tumor Center, sarcoma experts meet on a regular basis to review new patients' conditions. This multidisciplinary team includes radiologists, pathologists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, rehab specialists, anesthesiologists and surgeons, who come together to decide on the best course of treatment for each patient.
Make an Appointment
If you would like to schedule an appointment with a Jefferson Health specialist, please call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669).