Pediatric surgeons perform general surgery for children on areas of the body other than the brain, bones and heart. If your child needs surgery, you will be referred to Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children.
Nemours pediatric surgeons are highly trained in procedures ranging from routine outpatient surgery to complex inpatient operations. Nemours surgeons take a team approach to caring for children of all ages, from newborns to adolescents. We work closely with anesthesiologists and nurses who understand what kids need.
Common Pediatric Conditions Treated with Surgery
Some of the common pediatric conditions surgeons treat include:
- Abnormalities or defects (either congenital or acquired) of the abdominal wall, chest wall, endocrine system, gastrointestinal tract, lungs, head and neck
- Abscesses, lesions and burns on the skin and soft tissue
- Gastrointestinal conditions such as gastroesophageal reflux, inflammatory bowel disease and gallbladder disease
- Endocrine problems such as thyroid/parathyroid conditions
- Conditions in infants or newborns such as pyloric stenosis, intestinal atresias, esophageal atresia, intestinal malrotation, imperforate anus, intussusception, congenital diaphragmatic hernias and necrotizing enterocolitis
- Oncology (cancer) conditions
Minimally Invasive Surgery for Children
Minimally invasive surgery (including robotic surgery) is available in certain cases to treat various conditions in children. Minimally invasive surgery means shorter hospital stays, faster recovery times, less pain and smaller scars for your child.