Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
When disease or injury affects your child's movement, functional skills and/or communication skills, you want a team that will maximize your child's independence, whether at home, school or out in the community.
At Jefferson, you have access to experts from Nemours Children’s Health System who specialize in pediatric rehabilitation medicine.
An Individualized Evaluation & Treatment Plan
Our physicians utilize a family-centered approach to care, providing an individualized evaluation and management/treatment plan designed for your child with:
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic/amplified pain
- Gait abnormalities
- Brain injury including concussion, stroke or brain tumor
- Neuromuscular disorders including muscular dystrophy and spina bifida
- Encephalitis, meningitis or cancer
Our Pediatric Therapeutic Services
Our pediatric team consists of physiatrists, neuropsychologists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and speech language pathologists that work closely with families and their physicians to help children reach their full potential.
The services we provide:
- Physical therapy helps children improve or restore their mobility, reduce pain, restore function and prevent disability. Children practice important skills such as rolling, crawling, sitting, walking, jumping and running.
- Occupational therapy helps children participate in activities they need and/or want to do using therapeutic daily activities (occupations). The goal of occupational therapy is to promote fine motor and visual motor/perceptual development so your child can participate in school, play and self-care skills with greater independence.
- Speech therapy helps children speak, understand, read, write and swallow safely. Speech language pathologists are trained to address various impairments including neurologic disorders, brain injury, stroke, speech and language disorder, and head and neck cancers.