Neurological issues can affect your child's cognitive functioning (ability to think, reason and make behavior choices), physical functioning (the way the body works) or both. Sometimes these issues require surgical treatment.
Should your child need surgery involving the brain, skull, spinal cord, spinal column or other parts of the nervous system, pediatric neurosurgeons from Nemours Children’s Health System evaluate young patients at Jefferson's Center City Philadelphia office.
For surgical procedures, you and your child may be referred to the nearby Nemours Children’s Health System in Wilmington, Delaware.
Treating Neurological Conditions & Injuries in Children
Neurological conditions and injuries in children that may require surgery include:
- Birth defects of the brain and spine
- Birth injuries, including injuries of the brachial plexus
- Developmental and acquired skull deformities, including craniosynostosis
- Trauma affecting the skull, brain, spine and nerves
- Tumors of the brain and spine
- Chiari malformation and syringomyelia
- Spina bifida
- Spasticity, movement disorders and medically uncontrolled epilepsy