Minimally Invasive & Robotic Surgery Center
Next Day Consultations
Jefferson Health provides next-day surgical consultations for individuals who require them and wish to see a surgeon quickly.
Minimally invasive procedures – from laparoscopic or "keyhole" to endoscopic or robotic surgeries – offer some important advantages over traditional "open" surgeries. At Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, our surgeons have been performing – and pioneering – minimally invasive procedures for more than a decade.
Jefferson offers a range of minimally invasive surgical procedures few other hospitals in the region can match. These pioneering techniques use tiny incisions and miniature robotic instruments for everything from appendectomies and liver and pancreas resections to operations repairing heart valves – allowing many patients to leave surgery with only Band-Aids® for dressings.
We continually invest in the latest tools, technologies and training. And our surgeons and clinical staff are among the most experienced at minimally invasive surgeries in Philadelphia, South Jersey and Delaware.
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Surgery
Surgery has come a long way. What used to mean days spent in the hospital – long and sometimes painful recoveries and increased rates of infection at the surgical site – have given way to minimally invasive procedures that can be performed on virtually any area of the body.
Because surgeons are making smaller incisions to access the surgical site and can be more precise with their tools, the benefits of minimally invasive surgery can include:
- Shorter hospital stay (or none at all)
- Less trauma during surgery
- Less blood loss
- Smaller incisions that result in less scarring and less pain
- Reduced risk of infection
- Quicker recovery times
- Fewer complications after surgery
Jefferson Minimally Invasive Surgery at Jefferson Methodist Hospital - Leading-Edge Procedures, Right in the Neighborhood
For the convenience and comfort of patients in South Philadelphia, Jefferson Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of minimally invasive procedures.
Without leaving the neighborhood, area residents have access to distinguished Jefferson specialists performing many of the latest minimally invasive techniques that use tiny incisions and miniature robotic instruments for everything from appendectomies to colon resections – allowing many patients to leave surgery with only Band-Aids® for dressings.
Minimally Invasive Procedures at Jefferson
Below is a representative list of minimally invasive procedures offered at Jefferson:
- Appendectomy and Other Small Bowel Procedures
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder resection)
- Gastric Procedures
- Laparoscopic Enucleation of Tumors
- Robot-assisted Distal Pancreatectomy
- Esophageal Procedures
- Hernia Repair (all types)
- Lung Cancer Surgery (VATS lobectomy, robot-assisted lobectomy)
- Cancer of the Esophagus Surgery (minimally invasive esophagectomy)
- Surgery for Masses in the Chest (robot-assisted mediastinal mass resection)
- Myasthenia Gravis Surgery and surgery for tumors of the Thymus (robot-assisted thymectomy)
- Heartburn / Acid Reflux / GERD Surgery (laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication)
- Achalasia of the Esophagus Surgery (laparoscopic Heller myotomy)
- Esophageal Diverticula (laparoscopic resection)
- Hyperhidrosis Surgery (Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy, ETS)