We understand that timing is critical when it comes to organ transplantation. At Jefferson, we take pride in having one of the shortest times to liver transplant in the Philadelphia region. If you’re concerned about the wait time you’re currently facing for a liver transplant, you may want to consider multiple listing.
What is Multiple Listing?
The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is a private, nonprofit organization that coordinates the nation’s organ transplant system under contract with the federal government. UNOS allows patients to be considered for organs that become available in other regions by being evaluated and listed at more than one center across the country.
For example, if you're on a transplant waiting list in New York, which is located in Region 9, you may be able to list in Philadelphia as well, which is in Region 2. Being multiple listed in different regions can give a waiting patient access to multiple donor pools, not to mention that the average time for your organ might be shorter in another area.
You can learn more about the regions, from which states they include to the amount of donors and organs per each, by visiting the interactive region map on the UNOS site.
Why Multiple List with Jefferson?
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is located in Philadelphia, near major airports, train stations, bus terminals and highways – providing easy access from many other regions throughout the country. We also have satellite offices for pre- and post- surgery care that may be closer to your home.
Not to mention, Jefferson Health is accomplished in regards to Liver Transplant. For example, we possess:
- A One-Week Evaluation that consists of being evaluated for transplantation in five days, then listed on the seventh
- A median wait time of 11 months, according to the June 2016 Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) report
- Transplant and graft survival rates that surpass national and regional benchmarks established by both the SRTR and the Organ Procurement Transplant Network
- Recognition as an Aetna Institute of Excellence® Transplant Facility for adult liver transplants
How to Multiple List?
- The first thing you can do after deciding to multiple list is to call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669) to schedule a consultation with a transplant hepatologist. Be sure you tell them that you want to be evaluated for multiple listing when scheduling an appointment.
- The transplant team will then review any recent testing you’ve had to determine which tests, if any, will be needed for evaluation.
- After being evaluated, if you are a suitable candidate for transplant, you will be added to our waiting list.
- While on the wait list, you will need to maintain current lab results and contact information for each transplant program where you list.
- When an organ becomes available, you will need to make it our hospital within a designated amount of time.
You also have the option of scheduling an appointment online.