Kidney Transplant Program
Kidney Transplant Options
Our quick reference guide will help you understand the donation process.
For people with end-stage kidney disease, receiving a donor kidney is a lifesaving procedure. Jefferson Transplant Institute's first patient received her life-saving donor kidney almost 50 years and lived for 45 years with her transplanted kidney.
Our Kidney Transplant Program team works closely to provide people who need kidney transplants with the best possible care and to match each patient with an available donor organ. Currently, a living kidney transplant offers the best surgical option for patients over the long term, so we have partnered with multiple paired donation registries including the National Kidney Registry — the most successful paired exchange registry in the nation — to help match compatible living donors with recipients.
The Nicoletti Kidney Transplant Center
Due to a generous gift from the Robert V. Nicoletti Family trust, Jefferson Health has been able to create a center that specializes in living kidney donation. The Center is a proud part of our Kidney Transplant Program.
Why Choose Jefferson for Your Kidney Transplant?
Among the Best in Kidney Care
- The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), which administers the nation's policies on organ transplantation and procurement, has designated Jefferson as a kidney transplant center for both living and deceased donor kidneys
- Kidney transplant patient survival rates consistently surpass national and regional benchmarks established by both the Organ Procurement Transplant Network and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Surgical teams who perform dual organ transplants including kidney and heart, kidney and liver, and kidney and pancreas for patients who have serious illnesses and multiple organ failure
- Our physicians and histocompatibility lab have established a protocol to adjust unacceptable antigens to promote kidney transplantation of highly sensitized individuals
- An Aetna Institute of Excellence® Transplant Facility for kidney transplants
- Blue Cross Blue Distinction Center For Transplant
- Among the top-rated kidney transplant programs in region for one-year graft survival outcomes
- Four-star ranking by SRTR for kidney transplant outcomes - among the highest in the Philadelphia region
- Designated as a Transplant Center of Excellence by OptumHealth
- The Nicoletti Kidney Transplant Center is a dedicated location for kidney transplant patients and live kidney donors. This multidisciplinary center revolutionizes the live donor process and improves the patient experience. The time it takes from referral to transplant can be as little as 3-4 weeks.
- Jefferson works with patients who are not on dialysis yet, to get them added to the waitlist as quickly as possible, in order to shorten the time they have to wait for a transplant. There is also an expedited evaluation process for donors under the age of 50
- Jefferson Health has kidney evaluation offices located throughout the region for ease of patient access
Our Team Approach to Your Individualized Care
One of Jefferson's hallmarks is our team approach to patient-centered care. Your personally assigned transplant coordinator helps you through every step of the process — from your initial evaluation and tests, to placement on the organ waitlist to preparing for your kidney transplant surgery and ongoing follow-up — to provide you with peace of mind.
At Jefferson, you can often see all your specialists in one day so you won't need to schedule multiple visits to meet with all your kidney care providers. Our team of highly experienced physicians, nurses and counselors works together to outline a strategy tailored for your unique physical, psychological and financial situation. We also collaborate with other medical specialists within Jefferson to make sure we address all your healthcare needs.
Our continuity of care includes putting you in touch with a support network of specially trained nurses, social workers and fellow transplant survivors. We also consult with your referring physician throughout the entire course of your kidney disease treatment. Our goal is to create a sustainable plan for your continued health.
Convenient Locations for Pre- & Postoperative Care
Jefferson's ongoing "Patient for Life" commitment includes long-term follow-up care after you receive your transplanted organ.
Jefferson Transplant Institute’s satellite facilities for pre-transplant care include four locations in Pennsylvania and two in New Jersey. We have implemented telemedicine as an option for pre-transplant and post-transplant care at our satellite and Center City locations.
Schedule an Appointment
The Nicoletti Kidney Transplant Center
833 Chestnut Street, Suite 138
Philadelphia, PA 19107
To schedule an appointment, call the office directly or dial 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669). You can also schedule an appointment online.