Kidney Transplant Program
Donate Life Hospital Challenge
Attend Jefferson Transplant Institute events throughout April to learn more about the importance of organ donation!
Kidney Transplant Options
Our quick reference guide will help you understand the donation process.
For people with end-stage kidney disease, receiving a donor kidney is a lifesaving procedure. Just ask Jefferson Transplant Institute's first kidney transplant patient, she received her donor kidney 40 years ago and still relies on that original transplanted organ to filter her blood. Since 1974, our surgeons have performed thousands more live and deceased donor kidney transplants.
Our Kidney Transplant Program team works closely to provide people who need kidney transplants with the best possible care and to match each patient with an available donor organ. Currently, a living kidney transplant offers the best surgical option for patients over the long term, so we have partnered with multiple paired donation registries including the National Kidney Registry — the most successful paired exchange registry in the nation — to help match compatible living donors with recipients.
The Nicoletti Kidney Transplant Center
Due to a generous gift from the Robert V. Nicoletti Family trust, Jefferson Health has been able to create a center that specializes in living kidney donation. The Center is a proud part of our Kidney Transplant Program.
Why Choose Jefferson for Your Kidney Transplant?
Among the Best in Kidney Care
- The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), which administers the nation's policies on organ transplantation and procurement, has designated Jefferson as a kidney transplant center for both living and deceased donor kidneys
- Kidney transplant patient survival rates surpass national and regional benchmarks established by both the Organ Procurement Transplant Network and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Surgical teams who perform dual organ transplants including kidney and heart, kidney and liver, and kidney and pancreas for patients who have serious illnesses and multiple organ failure
- Patients experience the shortest wait time to receive their kidney transplant of any medical center in the Philadelphia area (source: Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR), June 2014 report)
- Among the highest volume programs in the U.S. for paired kidney exchanges and desensitization for patients with immunologic sensitivities
- An Aetna Institute of Excellence® Transplant Facility for kidney transplants
- Four-star ranking by SRTR for kidney transplant outcomes - among the highest in the Philadelphia region
Our Team Approach to Your Individualized Care
One of Jefferson's hallmarks is our team approach to patient-centered care. Your personally assigned transplant coordinator helps you through every step of the process — from your initial evaluation and tests, to placement on the organ waitlist to preparing for your kidney transplant surgery and ongoing follow-up — to provide you with peace of mind.
At Jefferson, you can often see all your specialists in one day so you won't need to schedule multiple visits to meet with all your kidney care providers. Our team of highly experienced physicians, nurses and counselors works together to outline a strategy tailored for your unique physical, psychological and financial situation. We also collaborate with other medical specialists within Jefferson to make sure we address all your healthcare needs.
Our continuity of care includes putting you in touch with a support network of specially trained nurses, social workers and fellow transplant survivors. We also consult with your referring physician throughout the entire course of your kidney disease treatment. Our goal is to create a sustainable plan for your continued health.
Convenient Locations in the Delaware Valley for Pre- and Postoperative Care
Jefferson's ongoing "Patient for Life" commitment includes long-term follow-up care after you receive your transplanted organ.
While your kidney transplant will be performed at our Center City Philadelphia location, our patients who find it more convenient can elect to receive their preoperative care including evaluation and postoperative care at Main Line Health's Lankenau Medical Center in Montgomery County.
Jefferson Transplant Institute's other satellite facilities include South Philadelphia and two locations in South Jersey. In 2015, our Transplant Institute expands to Bucks County. Also in 2015, we're implementing telemedicine (telecommunications technology) for remote evaluations and postoperative patient care.
Schedule an Appointment
The Nicoletti Kidney Transplant Center
833 Chestnut Street, Suite 138
Philadelphia, PA 19107
To schedule an appointment, call the office directly or dial 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669). You can also schedule an appointment online.