Send messages to your doctor's office, request prescription refills & more with MyJeffersonHealth. Learn how to sign up today.
Internists (physicians who specialize in internal medicine) may act as primary care physicians for patients with simple to complex problems. The difference between a family physician and an internist is that internal medicine physicians specialize in adult medicine. Their training focuses on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of conditions that primarily affect adults.
Specialized Care for Adults
Jefferson internists provide specialized care in:
- Women's and men's special health needs
- Urgent health needs including problems of the eyes, ears, skin, nervous system and reproductive organs
We are specially trained to manage difficult diagnostic problems and help to coordinate care of patients with severe chronic illnesses or multiple illnesses presenting at the same time. Additionally, we provide clinical services to the Comprehensive Sickle Cell Program and work closely with the Jefferson Vascular Center.
Women's Primary Care
Our internists offer comprehensive, holistic care for women ages 18 and up with conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, menopause, osteoporosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, vaginitis and more.
Health and Wellness Services Offered
- Comprehensive physicals
- Risk assessment for diabetes, cancer and heart disease
- Preconception counseling
- Optimizing health before and after menopause
Gynecologic Services Offered
- Routine pap smear, pelvic and breast exams
- Birth control counseling and treatment
- Vaginitis care
- Sexually transmitted disease testing and treatment
- Menopause treatment, including hormonal and nonhormonal options
- Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome
For treating more complex gynecologic conditions, you will be referred to a Jefferson gynecologist.
Internal Medicine Research & Education
The Division of Internal Medicine is home to full, part time and volunteer staff members with practices on the Jefferson campus and in the community. The staff has expertise in patient care, teaching and research. Visit the Division of Internal Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University for more on research and education.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with a Jefferson Health internal medicine specialist, call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669).