Cardiac Rehabilitation Program (Outpatient)
Jefferson Cardiac Rehabilitation is an AACVPR-certified program, recognized as leaders in the field of cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation.
At Jefferson Health, we offer the only outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Program in Philadelphia, designed to help patients who have suffered from a heart condition transition back to a normal, active life.
You're a candidate for outpatient cardiac rehab if you've had:
- A heart attack
- An angioplasty, coronary bypass, valve replacement or heart transplant
- Stable angina, irregular heart rhythms, congestive heart failure or cardiomyopathy
What Can I Expect from Cardiac Rehabilitation?
- Exercise. We create an individualized aerobic plan for you designed specifically to start at a lower level which gradually increases in intensity over time.
- Nutrition. We will help you learn about the importance of healthy eating habits, weight control and limiting fat and cholesterol intake. We will also help you understand food labels and nutrition.
- Education. We provide individual and group cardiac education that covers controllable risk factors for heart disease, smoking cessation, stress management and medication management. You can take a more active and responsible role in your recovery when you're better informed about your condition.
- Support. You will receive ongoing encouragement and emotional support from our staff, available to answer questions and discuss areas of concern.
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Working with the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program team at Jefferson, you may be able to:
- Reduce your risk of mortality following a heart attack
- Improve the efficiency of your heart
- Diminish cardiac risk factors
- Improve self-confidence
- Lower heart rate at rest and with increased activity
- Decrease blood pressure
- Enhance your sense of well-being
- Maintain proper weight
When Our Programs Are Offered
- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays - 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 1 hour per session
- Initial stress test required
- Lasts 8 to 12 weeks
Admission Criteria & Insurance Accepted
Cardiac Rehabilitation is covered by most insurance plans. Co-pays may be necessary and a physician referral is required. Diagnoses usually covered include:
- Stable Angina
- Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack)
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA) or PCI(Angioplasty/Stenting)
- Heart Failure
- Heart Surgery
- Heart Transplant
Diabetes & Heart Care
The American Diabetes Association gives a close look at the known risk factors and impacts of diabetes and how it is closely linked to cardiovascular disease. Learn simple lifestyle changes you can make to reduce your risk for both and take charge of your health.
To help us better serve you and others affected by diabetes, take this brief survey.
Contact the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
To enroll in our program or speak with a Jefferson Health specialist, call the desired office location directly.