Blood Donor Center
All products collected are tested according to FDA recommendations to ensure their safety. The Center uses the most stringent procedures to assure the safety of its donors and of the blood that it supplies to Jefferson's Blood Bank.
In addition to whole blood collection, we also collect double red cells and platelets through a process called apheresis. Please call the Blood Donor Center (215-955-7791) for more information about these procedures, which have different donor requirements.
What You Should Know About Giving Blood
- Donating is convenient, safe and quick. All needles are disposable, sterile and used only once.
- You must be at least 17 years old, weigh more than 110 pounds and be in good health to donate.
- A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days.
- Eligible employees receive 3 hours ETO with each successful blood donation.
- Jefferson does not offer money in exchange for blood donations.
- The Blood Donor Center at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals collects blood from volunteers, autologous (a patient donates their own blood in advance of their potential need for it) and directed donors (someone donates their blood specifically on a patient's behalf).
How Do I Make an Appointment to Give Blood?
To sign up to give plasma, platelets, or double red cells, please call 215-955-7791. Online scheduling for whole blood donation only.
Where is the Blood Donor Center Located?
111 South 10th Street
Suite 1114 (Street Level)
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Monday – Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Monthly late hours:
- Tuesday, January 18: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 15: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 15: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 12: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 10: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 7: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 12: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 9: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 13: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 11: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 8: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 6: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Facts About Giving Blood
- The demand for blood is often greater than the supply in midwinter and midsummer, which often results in citywide shortages.
- To date, there is no accepted substitute for blood; people are the only source.
- All blood types are needed every day.
- Although 60 percent of people are eligible to give blood, only less than 5 percent give blood regularly.
- Every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion.
- The next person to need blood may be you or a family member.
- The increase in organ transplants performed at Jefferson requires more blood than routine surgical procedures.
- Approximately 60,000 units of blood and blood products were used by patients last year at Jefferson alone.
- Each blood donation is separated into three products: red blood cells, platelets and plasma. Your donation will benefit three patients.
- Only one in 25 people donate blood; thanks for being one!