Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Professionals
This Practicum is for professionals who intend to teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) or who want to integrate mindfulness into their professional practice. It is modeled after the practicum offered at the Center for Mindfulness at University of Massachusetts Medical School. Practicum participants will take an 8-week foundational MBSR course as participant observers.
In addition, participants will engage in 10 seminar sessions with Diane Reibel, Ph.D. and Aleeze Moss, Ph.D., certified MBSR teachers, and fellow participants to explore such questions as: “What draws me to teaching mindfulness or to integrating mindfulness into my work and what challenges do I face?”
Participants will acquire a deep understanding of the transformative possibilities in teaching mindfulness. They will gain an overview of the streams of scientific and academic research surrounding mindfulness-based interventions. They will have the opportunity to practice guiding other practicum participants in sitting and moving meditation and in facilitating group discussion and individual inquiry.
Participants will develop the personal capacity to speak the truth from/of silence. There will be opportunities to explore ways to remain connected to the community of mindfulness professionals and to obtain further training.
The Practicum begins with a 2-hour opening seminar the week before the MBSR course begins. During the next 8 weeks, Practicum participants will join the MBSR course in the morning (2.5-hours), followed by a 3-hour seminar in the afternoon. An online retreat day of mindfulness practice will be held during the week of the 5th or 6th MBSR class.
- Wednesday, April 21, 2021 – Opening Seminar
- Wednesdays April 28 – June 16, 2021 – MBSR Classes & Seminars, including a day of mindfulness on a weekend date (TBA)
- Wednesday, June 23, 2021 – Closing Seminar
- Wednesday, April 21, 2021: 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Opening Seminar
- Wednesdays, April 28 – June 16, 2021: MBSR classes 9:30 a.m. - noon, Seminars 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Retreat Day of Mindfulness – Weekend TBD: 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 23, 2021: 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Closing Seminar
Meeting Site(s)/Location: Online
Application fee of $100. In addition, a minimum of $500 is due one month prior to the start date of the Practicum (by March 21, 2021). This payment is non-refundable. The remaining $1,200 can be paid at the start of the Practicum or in installments with payment complete by the end of the program. Once the Practicum has begun, participants are responsible for the total balance; there are no refunds or prorated payments.
Continuing Education Credit Hours:
Sixty (60) CE hours for social workers. NASW has been designated as a pre-approved provider of professional continuing education for Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors (Section 47.36) by the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists and Professional Counselors (cost: $15 for members and $25 for non-members payable to NASW).
- A commitment to daily mindfulness practice is required.
- Participation in at least one 5-day or longer silent, teacher-led, mindfulness meditation retreat.
- Participation in an 8-week MBSR foundation course.
How to Apply:
Please write an application letter which addresses the following:
- What draws you to participate in the Practicum?
- What your vision or intentions are for integrating mindfulness into your work.
- A description of your meditation training and your regularity of practice.
- A description of the silent, teacher-led, meditation retreats that you have attended.
- What experience you have with Mindfulness-Based Interventions (MBSR or MBCT trainings, participation in an MBSR course).
- A brief history of your psychological and spiritual development.
Include your current CV or resume, which includes information about your professional training and work.
*The application fee will be used toward your tuition if you are accepted into the Practicum.