If you have been diagnosed with tinnitus, you should know that Jefferson is the first hospital in Philadelphia to offer the FDA-cleared Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment.
What Does Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment Involve?
This therapy is proven to interact, interrupt and desensitize tinnitus by delivering a customized neural stimulus, embedded in clinically modified music, that promotes neural plastic changes, allowing the brain to filter out the disturbing tinnitus sound.
The Oasis™ device, by which the Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment is delivered, is a patented precision medical instrument. About the size and weight of a cell phone, it is available only by a prescription and from Neuromonics-trained medical professionals such as the physicians of the Jefferson Balance and Hearing Center.
The high-fidelity earphones accompanying the Oasis device provide the acoustic clarity and fidelity required for the treatment across a wide frequency range. Lightweight, flexible and unobtrusive, the earphones allow you to go easily about your day-to-day activities with little awareness of your treatment.
Neuromonics Treatment Options
The Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment provides three plans which are customized to assist with humming, buzzing and other symptoms of tinnitus. These options include:
SANCTUARY (Basic treatment plan)
- Functions much like a music player; blends high-frequency signals with music to provide on-demand and on-the-go tinnitus relief
- Designed for situational relief; hearing test determines one of three hearing profiles
- Audiologist selects hearing profile and patient uses at home/work etc., as needed
HAVEN (Moderate treatment plan)
- Functions much like a music player; on-demand and on-the-go tinnitus relief
- Customized tinnitus relief based on results of tinnitus evaluation; programmed by audiologist
OASIS (Comprehensive treatment plan)
- Functions much like a music player
- Clinically proven medical device with documented long-term relief
- Customized tinnitus relief based on results of tinnitus evaluation to help promote tinnitus desensitization/habituation
- Treats the underlying causes of tinnitus by helping the brain overcome the initial damage caused to the auditory system and reducing the brain’s interpretation of tinnitus sounds as harmful
- Comprehensive treatment program of 6-8 months duration that provides long-term relief under the care of a trained audiologist
Do Insurance Companies Cover this Treatment?
It is important to know that tinnitus-related charges are almost universally not a covered benefit by insurance companies. That is, despite the fact that various types of tinnitus treatment have existed since the 1970s, the acoustical evaluation of tinnitus and the non-medical management of tinnitus are considered “investigations” by many insurance companies. Because of this, we are not able to bill your insurance company for your tinnitus counseling, tinnitus treatment, or hearing aids.
Payment for these services and devices are due on the day that services are rendered and/or devices are delivered. If you wish to attempt to obtain reimbursement from your insurance company on your own, we will be happy to supply you with an explanation of the services and the purpose of the devices.
A tinnitus evaluation must be scheduled to determine the device. The out-of-pocket fee associated with this service is $240.