Colorectal surgeons and gastroenterologists at Jefferson perform a high volume of colonoscopies annually. We use the most advanced technologies for colonoscopy, which can improve detection of polyps and reduce inconvenience for patients who need colon cancer screening.
The Third Eye® Retroscope® helps our physicians overcome "blind spots" to get a complete view of the colon to identify polyps previously hidden on the backside of folds in the colon. It is estimated that this technology will help physicians improve polyp detection by 10 percent.
Other Types of Colonoscopies
We may also offer you the following options:
- Virtual colonoscopy, which uses computed tomography (CT) technology to provide a 3-D image of your colon, without the need for the insertion of a probe, as with standard colonoscopy exams
- Open-access colonoscopy, which is screening for low-risk patients
- Double-balloon colonoscopy, for patients with altered anatomy who have failed complete colonoscopy elsewhere
Researchers at Jefferson conducted a study of 116 colonoscopy patients given either a split dosage of colon preparation the night before and morning of their colonoscopy or the preparation solely the morning of their procedure. The study found that both treatments are equally as effective.
At Jefferson, our patients have access to both split-dosage prep and now the same-day prep for colonoscopies.
Same-day colon prep is not for patients with certain medical conditions, such as diabetics. Talk to your doctor to see if you're a candidate.
Family obligations, work demands and other responsibilities make it difficult for busy women to schedule these essential screenings. That's why Jefferson provides options for multiple screenings in one location and one visit!
You can schedule screenings together:
- Mammogram and colon cancer pre-screening (Thursdays, 5 to 6:30 p.m.)
- Mammogram, colon cancer pre-screening and GYN exam (3rd Thursday of the month, 5 to 6:30 p.m.)
Screenings for breast, colon and gynecological cancers are available for women 50 years and older. Women 40 years of age and over are eligible if they have a family history of colon polyps or colon cancer.
Your Care and Test Results
Care is provided by female physicians and clinicians. Test results are provided to you promptly, and a summary letter is sent to your primary care physician.
How to Schedule Screenings
Call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669) to schedule an appointment today!
Screenings are located at:
Jefferson Breast Care Center
Medical Office Building
1100 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107