Basal Cell Carcinoma
If you are diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma, Jefferson's renowned experts in skin cancer and dermatologic surgery will develop a personalized treatment plan for you that may include a number of options that have been shown to be very successful in treating this type of skin cancer.
Advanced basal cell carcinoma treatments offered at Jefferson include:
- Mohs micrographic surgery, one of the most advanced methods used to remove cancerous skin and minimizes damage to surrounding healthy tissue and the risk of leaving cancerous tissue behind. This sophisticated procedure requires the specialized expertise possessed by Jefferson dermatologic surgeons and is often used to treat recurrent skin cancers.
- Cryosurgery, a procedure that destroys lesions through the application of extremely cold substances
- Electrodesiccation and curettage , a procedure in which the surface of lesions is scraped off and the tumor is destroyed through the application of an electric needle
- Radiation therapy, which entails the precise delivery of radiation to destroy cancerous cells, while sparing healthy tissue surrounding the tumor
- Chemotherapy, which may involve injected or ingested medications or the application of topical creams
Your Jefferson physician will carefully guide you through all the options and recommend the treatment method that's best for you, depending on the size of the tumor, its location and the type of cancer.