Among the Nation's Best for Urology
U.S.News & World Report has named Jefferson among the best hospitals in the nation for Urology.
Jefferson Health MyChart
Send messages to your doctor's office, request prescription refills and more with Jefferson Health My Chart. Learn how to sign up today.
Established in 1904, Jefferson's Department of Urology is one of the oldest and among the largest in the United States with internationally recognized experts in all major fields of urology, including:
- Endourology – Used mostly to treat kidney stones and some tumors, this procedure involves the use of small fiber-optic scopes to view the lining of the urinary tract.
- Laparoscopy – Surgeons use a fiber-optic instrument that is inserted through a small incision in the abdomen to perform minimally invasive procedures in the kidney, ureters, bladder and prostate. Jefferson urologists were the first in the Delaware Valley to offer minimally invasive laparoscopic radical prostatectomy as a treatment for prostate cancer.
- Robotic surgery – Utilizing the da Vinci® robot, Jefferson urologists are among the best in using robotic surgery to treat conditions of the genitourinary system.
- Oncology – Diagnosis and treatment of cancer of the urinary tract of men and women such as prostate, kidney and testicular cancers.
- Male urology – Jefferson is a leader in the use of leading-edge, minimally invasive procedures to treat BPH (also referred to as benign prostatic hypertrophy). BPH is a condition in which the prostate gland becomes very enlarged and may cause problems associated with urination.
- Female urology – Diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the lower urinary tract in females, such as urinary leakage and overactive bladder.
- Male factor infertility – Treatment to reverse low sperm count.
- Pediatric urology – Treatment of urological problems in children.
- Urinary tract infection – Treatment of bacterial infection of the urethra, bladder, ureters or kidneys.
- Neurourology – Treatment of urologic conditions that have a neurological origin, such as spinal cord injury.
What to Expect During Your Urology Visit
Our clinical facilities provide not only outstanding patient care but allow for comprehensive training and features high-definition laparoscopy suites, three da Vinci® surgical robots, dedicated endourology suites with digital imaging, an extensive laser and endoscope inventory, cryo and brachytherapy units, two prostate thermotherapy units, the Prostate Diagnostic Center and inpatient and outpatient UDS facilities.
In addition, our urologists work closely with nephrologists, who specialize in the function and disease of the kidneys.
Urology Research and Education
Visit the Department of Urology at Thomas Jefferson University for more on research and education.