Critical care transport nurses, paramedics and emergency medical technicians are on staff and available to respond 24 hours a day.
Board-Certified Trauma Surgeons Available 24/7
With a trauma operating room in the ER, our trauma surgeons also perform emergency general surgery, caring for more than 1,000 patients in any given year.
Trauma-Certified Nurses At Your Side
Our trauma-certified nurses are at your bedside — checking your vitals, monitoring your progress and coordinating your care. Jefferson is also designated a MAGNET® hospital for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Comprehensive Traumatic Injury Program
A Level 1 Regional Resource Trauma Center
Trauma refers to direct physical injury to the body that is life threatening and requires highly specialized care fast. Motor vehicle accidents account for the majority of traumatic injuries in the United States. Other causes of traumatic injuries include pedestrian accidents, falls from height and athletic accidents. In these life-threatening types of situations, a trauma center is the best place to be.
Since 1987, Jefferson has been an accredited Level I Regional Resource Trauma Center in Philadelphia and a referral center for multiple suburban communities and trauma centers in the region to treat a wide variety of trauma-related conditions. With one of the highest transfer volume rates in Pennsylvania, our Comprehensive Traumatic Injury Program provides immediate surgical services and care to critically injured patients.
Your Transfer Options
If you or a loved one have experienced a traumatic injury and are being taken to another hospital, you have options for seeking expert care. When you choose to transfer to Jefferson for your treatment, you will receive the full continuum of care.
If you would like to request a transfer to Jefferson, your referring physician needs to call 1-800-JEFF-121 (1-800-533-3121) to discuss the transfer.
Why Transfer to Jefferson for Your Care?
At Jefferson, we are equipped with a multidisciplinary program, a highly skilled staff and an advanced facility to care for any trauma-related issue.
A Strong Program
Learn More About Our Team Approach to Trauma Care >
- Greater than 60 percent transfer volume, with transfers from outside the Philadelphia region and the country
- One of 14 hospitals in the nation to have a Level I Trauma Center and a federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center, and the only one in the area
- An experienced staff that includes critical care-boarded traumatologists available 24/7 as well as trauma-certified nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- Home to the largest orthopedic surgery program in the Delaware Valley, with highly specialized orthopedic trauma and fracture care for potentially limb-threatening or life-altering injuries
- Hand trauma care from board-certified orthopedic surgeons at The Philadelphia Hand Center at Jefferson
- The only dedicated hospital for neuroscience in the Philadelphia region, with immediate access to some of the most experienced and renowned neurosurgeons for the treatment of traumatic brain injuries
- Access to one of only three emergency rooms in the country dedicated to emergency eye care through our partnership with Wills Eye Hospital
- A Comprehensive Rehabilitation Unit, accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) for Comprehensive Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation and Stroke Specialty Program
- A trauma operating room in the ER
- Three trauma resuscitation bays
- Two integrated trauma-designated intensive care units
- Two trauma-designated step-down units
- Designated medical/surgical units
- A comprehensive acute rehabilitation unit
For Physicians: Transferring Patients
Call 1-800-JEFF-121 (1-800-533-3121) to expedite time-sensitive emergency transfers and nonemergent transfers for tertiary care services at Jefferson University Hospitals.
You will be connected to an attending physician, and JeffSTAT, our medical transportation service, will pick up the patient quickly. Our one-call system is fast, efficient, comprehensive and user centered. This number is for physician use only.
To guide you through the process, follow the Transfer Process Checklist >