Frequently Asked Questions
Here at Jefferson, we want our patients to be as educated and informed as possible when it comes to their cancer care. We suggest you bring a list of questions and a notepad to ensure you get the most information possible during your visit with us. Some of the most common questions to ask your radiation oncologist are listed below.
- What type and stage of cancer do I have?
- How will radiation therapy help me?
- How does radiation therapy work? Is it internal or external?
- How many and how long will I receive radiation treatments?
- What are the chances that radiation therapy will work?
- What is the chance that the cancer will spread or come back if I do not have radiation therapy?
- Will I need chemotherapy, surgery or other treatments?
- How can I expect to feel during treatment and in the weeks following radiation therapy?
- Can I drive myself to and from the treatment facility?
- Will I be able to continue my normal activities?
- What side effects may occur from the radiation?
- Will radiation therapy affect my ability to have children?
- What are some of the support groups I can turn to during treatment?