Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, is the most common form of chronic lung disease in this country. It can significantly affect your ability to function and your quality of life. But there are steps you can take to reduce the impact of this disease on your daily activities and improve your long-term health.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Jefferson's Methodist Hospital in South Philadelphia is an individually tailored, medically supervised outpatient program designed to improve the quality of life of patients with underlying chronic lung disease. The Program offers exercise training, education and emotional support to patients ages 18 and up who are able to walk without help, but whose abilities to perform daily activities are impacted by symptomatic chronic lung diseases such as:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
What to Expect from the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
The Program begins with a screening performed by the Pulmonary Rehabilitation medical director. It is then customized for each patient to help facilitate lifestyle changes essential to healthier behavior.
Our pulmonary rehabilitation team consists of a pulmonologist, registered nurses, respiratory therapist and nutritionist. Over the next eight to 12 weeks (depending on each patient's needs and circumstances), we provide participants with:
- Exercise training – We design individualized, progressive aerobic and resistance training, monitored by a registered nurse and respiratory therapist, to help participants exercise safely, strengthen muscles and regain energy.
- Education – Topics include overviews of chronic respiratory disease, proper breathing techniques, nutrition (taught by a registered dietician), emotional concerns (including stress management techniques), medications (their purpose and proper consumption) and advanced directives (end-of-life issues, presented by a clinical social worker).
- Support – Our staff is available to provide ongoing encouragement and emotional support, to answer questions and to discuss areas of concern, even after completion of the Program.
The Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Qualified, motivated participants can experience:
- Decreased shortness of breath
- Decreased exacerbation of chronic respiratory disease
- Decreased recurrence of hospitalization for chronic respiratory disease
- Increased energy
- Increased quality of life
Contact the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
The Program is located at:
2422-24 South Broad Street (down the street from Jefferson's Methodist Hospital)
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation sessions are held twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
For more information or to refer a patient, call 215-952-9186. A physician referral is required.