Psychiatry & Human Behavior
The psychiatrists and therapists of Jefferson's Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior provide services to Hospital patients. In addition, we focus special attention on the consultation and treatment of the most common psychiatric problems of anxiety, depression, insomnia, substance abuse, eating disorders and sleep disorders.
Psychiatry Services Available
- The Department staff is experienced in individual, couple, marital and family therapy and serves child, adolescent and adult outpatient populations on a sliding-fee basis.
- We work with patients who are struggling with substance abuse including alcoholism, drug addiction, heroin dependency, cocaine addiction and prescription medication abuse, and move toward recovery.
- Our general care unit is for adult inpatients with moderate to more severe psychiatric conditions. The units simulate a constructive home environment as much as possible.
- We assess behavior and memory changes in our 12-bed inpatient unit for geriatric patients. Our multidisciplinary approach pulls together a team of psychiatrists, neurologists, nurses and social workers to treat age-related conditions such as memory loss, depression, anxiety and delusion. We are the only such facility in the Philadelphia region with a separate section for those with advanced dementia.
- We provide treatment for psychiatric conditions related to medical or surgical conditions, including menstrual, menopausal and sexual disorders and problems related to pregnancy.
- We offer a psycho-oncology service, staffed by a psychiatrist specially trained to counsel cancer patients.
Psychiatry Research and Education
Visit the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Thomas Jefferson University for more on research and education.