Inpatient Pharmacy Service
Jefferson's Department of Pharmacy provides comprehensive, 24-hour inpatient pharmacy service to patients, physicians and staff who are in the Hospital. Our Department consists of full-time pharmacists and pharmacy residents.
We utilize a decentralized pharmacy model, with three satellites providing service to patient-care units with teams of pharmacists and technicians on each satellite.
To support the patient care, research and educational missions of the Hospital, our Department provides a number of pharmaceutical services, including:
- Drug Information Center – The Center staff are available to answer questions from Jefferson physicians and medical staff. The Center staff is also responsible for maintaining the Jefferson formulary, a compendium of drugs approved for use in the Hospital by the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
- Investigational Drug Service – This Service provides the procurement, storage, dispensing and maintenance of records for all investigational drugs.
- Pharmacoeconomics and Clinical Effectiveness (PEACE) Program – This multidisciplinary process establishes, implements and monitors compliance to evidence-based practices that optimize clinical outcomes in a cost-effective manner.
- Adverse drug reaction (ADR) reporting – The Department reviews all adverse events reported through the Patient Safety Net (PSN).
- Centralized chemotherapy preparation – Using sophisticated computerized information systems, Department personnel prepare chemotherapy in state-of-the-art facilities to maximize positive patient outcomes for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Pharmacist-initiated therapeutic substitution, renal dosing and IV-to-PO conversion programs