Pastoral Care Program
If you or a loved one is receiving treatment at Jefferson, you may experience feelings of fear, anxiety and grief. For many, spiritual and emotional comfort can be an important part of coping with this experience.
The chaplains of the Department of Pastoral Care and Education at Jefferson are part of the professional care team and can provide the support you need.
We recognize that our patients and their families come from diverse backgrounds and religions. Chaplains at Jefferson respect the views of all religions, denominations and personal philosophies. Whatever the chaplain's personal denomination may be, our desire is to honor and respect the beliefs that bring meaning to those we serve.
To Reach a Chaplain
- Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Call the Pastoral Care Office at 215-955-6336.
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week: Call the Page Operator at 215-955-6060 and ask for beeper number 3223.
Working Closely with the In-House Chaplains
- The priests from St. John's Catholic Church, along with several Jefferson employees who serve as Eucharistic ministers, provide for Roman Catholic patients. A Jewish rabbi sees Jewish patients and various local clergy visit members of their denominations on a regular basis.
- Sidney Kimmel Medical College (SKMC) has a special counselor in residence — an SKMC alumnus, who is also a staff physician and a Jesuit priest — to minister to the spiritual and emotional needs of students from Jefferson's three colleges, faculty and employees.
- The SKMC Jewish Students' Association, among its activities, strives to heighten future physicians' awareness of their own spiritual identity so they will be better able to minister to their patients.
- The activities of the Islamic Medical Association at Jefferson include providing religious services for Muslim students and faculty, sponsoring events to educate the University community about Islam and addressing the medical needs of the Islamic world.
- The involvement of the spiritual leaders of individual patients is welcomed and encouraged. Chaplains are happy to contact specific clergy at the request of a patient or family member.
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education Accreditation
The Pastoral Care Program at Jefferson is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc., located at:
1549 Clairmont Road
Decatur, GA 30033-4635
Phone number: 404-320-1472
Alumni: Please tell us about your experiences to help improve the Program and assist us with our re-accreditation process by taking the Alumni Feedback Questionnaire.