Lung Cancer Screening Program
Lung cancer remains the leading cause of death from cancer in the U.S., and cigarette smoking is the single biggest risk factor. Unfortunately, only 15 percent of patients with lung cancer are diagnosed with early stage disease.
However, recent studies and the use of low-dose CT of the chest (LDCT) suggest that screening can improve survival from early detection of lung cancer by as much as 20 percent. For this reason, Jefferson launched a Lung Cancer Screening Program that offers a unique one-day service based on state-of-the-art screening methods for lung cancer in high-risk patients.
An LDCT uses X-rays to obtain a multiple-image scan of the entire chest compared to a standard chest X-ray that produces a single image of the whole chest in which anatomic structures overlie one another.
This effort – with support from Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology, Thoracic Surgery and Radiology – is one of the first in the Delaware Valley in the hopes of detecting lung cancer in patients sooner. In addition, other emerging technologies including biomarkers, nonsurgical approaches to biopsy and novel therapies involving radiotherapy are giving hope to patients.
Make an Appointment for a Lung Cancer Screening
Newly developed guidelines indicate that screening for lung cancer in high-risk patients saves lives.
If you are over 55 but younger than 80 and have a total smoking history of 30 pack years or more (one pack/day for 30 years, two packs/day for 15 years, etc.), or if you are an ex-smoker and cessation occurred within 15 years, then you meet the criteria for the screening.
About Our Lung Cancer Screening Program
- Participation is completely voluntary
- Medicare and most private insurance plans cover the cost (co-pays/deductibles may apply)
- A low-dose CT scan is performed (CT contrast is not used)
- Pre-scan counseling, eligibility determination and smoking cessation counseling/education are offered
- CT scan review and results discussed with you within two hours
- Results sent to your primary care physician on same day
- Appointments available within three business days
To schedule a screening, please call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (800-533-3669); learn more about the Lung Screening Program offered at Abington-Jefferson Health.