Liver Transplant Information for Referring Physicians
Jefferson Health has a longstanding history of advancement with liver transplantation, performing the very first such transplant in the Delaware Valley at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in 1984. Since then, our skilled surgeons have performed over 1,000 deceased donor and living donor liver transplants
Why is Jefferson the Best Choice for Your Patients?
With our One-Week Evaluation process, patients can be evaluated and placed on the liver transplant waiting list in just seven days. Though streamlined, our One-Week Evaluation maintains the standards of quality care and attention to detail associated with Jefferson’s world class facilities and professionals. Also, with the help of Gift of Life, local housing is available during the week long evaluation for out-of-town patients.
Jefferson also offers comprehensive pre- and post-transplant communication with referring physicians in the community in order to maintain continuity and consistency of care.
Jefferson Health is proud of its superior patient and graft survival rates that continuously surpass national and regional benchmarks set by the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) and the Organ Procurement Transplant Network (OPTN).
In addition, our higher than expected transplant rate means that patients also experience one of shortest wait times to receive liver transplants of any medical center in the Philadelphia region.
Access to Jefferson services is easier for our patients, having satellite locations throughout the Delaware Valley. In addition to our Center City location, we have a Transplant Coordinator on staff that will evaluate patients at satellite locations in:
- Wynnewood, PA
- East Norriton, PA
- Rydal, PA
- Jenkintown, PA
- Doylestown, PA
- Exton, PA
- Media, PA
- Voorhees, NJ
- Egg Harbor Township, NJ
- Newark, DE
Convenient Telehealth appointments are also available through JeffConnect®. This service “connects” patients with our doctors- anytime, anywhere- through your phone, tablet or computer. We use the latest video conferencing tools to deliver real-time care and consultation, virtually, at a time and location convenient for you.
Experts in Liver Disease and TreatmentJefferson gives patients access to experts in a variety of liver diseases through centers such as:
- Fatty Liver Center – The first such center in the Delaware Valley offering a multidisciplinary approach to comprehensive care related to the prevention, diagnosis, management and treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and NASH. Our team provides access to cutting-edge clinical trials in this silent epidemic of liver disease.
- Liver Tumor Center – A distinguished, multidisciplinary team that specializes in treating any benign or malignant liver tumors and offering a wide array of surgical, interventional radiology and oncologic treatments.
- Hepatitis C Center- One of the few centers in the Delaware Valley dedicated to helping patients who have chronic hepatitis C, offering a full menu of the most innovative and potent oral anti-viral drugs to achieve cure of the infection.
Does My Patient Qualify?
There are many indications that your patient may be suitable for a liver transplant, such as:
- Acute liver failure
- Complications of cirrhosis
- Hepatocellular (liver) cancer
Reasons as to why a liver transplant may be inadvisable for a patient can be:
- Severe cardiac disease
- Severe pulmonary disease
- Uncontrolled HIV/AIDS
- Active/Uncontrolled substance abuse
- An unacceptably high BMI due to the high operative risk
Though there are general practices and guidelines when evaluating a patient for transplantation, each patient is unique and may still be a suitable candidate. We are more than happy and available to discuss your patients’ options.
I Want to Refer My Patient
Call 215-955-8900 or direct your patient to call 1-800-JEFF-NOW.
We provide a transport team to facilitate inpatient transfers 24 hours a day. Contact our Transfer Center at 1-800-JEFF-121 to schedule a transfer.
Who Can I Contact for More Information?
If you have additional questions about our Liver Transplant Program, you can explore the site for more details, or contact one of our Physician Relationship Managers:
- Ellen Doubet - (215) 200-9193
- Laurie Geosits - (215) 200-9458
- Vicki Jones - (215) 200-4889