Liver Transplant Program
An Aetna Institute of Excellence Transplant Facility
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is designated for adult bone marrow, liver and kidney transplants.
Colonel Darnell's Story
Colonel Darnell Waun of the Air Force Nursing Corps experienced life, as he says, on "both sides of the bed rails" after a liver transplant.
Offering patients the shortest time to transplant possible.
Diseases of the liver including cirrhosis, hepatitis and cancer may damage your liver to the point where a transplant becomes a necessity. If you're facing this complex procedure, you'll want to choose a hospital with a lengthy history of successful liver transplantation and one that continues to distinguish itself within the field.
Jefferson Health performed the first liver transplant in the Delaware Valley in 1984, which makes our program the oldest and the longest continuously active in the Philadelphia area. We are also a recognized leader in the field of adult liver transplants.
7 Day Evaluation & Listing
We understand that timing is critical to our patients. Jefferson patients can now be evaluated for transplant in five days and placed on the liver transplant waitlist in one week. From Monday to Friday patients will see all necessary physicians and staff members and receive all of the required testing. If the candidate is suitable for a liver transplant, he or she will be listed on the following Monday. Our seven day evaluation and listing process maintains the standards of quality care and attention associated with Jefferson’s world class health facilities and professionals.
What Makes Our Liver Transplant Program Unique?
In addition to our 7 day evaluation and listing process, here are some of the other reasons that Jefferson Health is among the best in liver transplantation:
- We have easily accessible office locations for pre- and post- care throughout the Delaware Valley and offer convenient telehealth appointments.
- Jefferson patients receive a liver transplant at a median timeframe of 11 months, one of the shortest among the medical centers in the Philadelphia area (Source: Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, June 2016 report).
- Patient transplant and graft survival rates surpass national and regional benchmarks established by both the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients and the Organ Procurement Transplant Network.
- We perform both live and deceased donor adult liver transplants--our team of surgeons have performed over 1,000 liver transplants.
- We provide liver transplants for pediatric patients through our partnership with Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware.
- We work in tandem with Jefferson's other subspecialty programs such as the Liver Tumor Center, Fatty Liver Center and the Hepatitis C Center. We are dedicated to helping patients make informed decisions about their liver disease treatments.
- Jefferson Health is an Independence Blue Cross Blue Distinction Center for Transplants® and an Aetna Institute of Excellence® Transplant Facility for adult liver transplants.
Our Team Approach to Your Individualized Care
One of the hallmarks of our patient- centered care is our team approach. At Jefferson, a designated transplant coordinator helps you through every step of the process — from your initial evaluation and tests, and placement on the organ waitlist, to your liver transplant surgery preparation and ongoing follow-up. Our process is designed to provide you with peace of mind and the highest quality of care, in and out of surgery.
Our team of highly experienced physicians, nurses, social workers and counselors work together to outline a strategy that is tailored to your unique physical, psychological and financial situation. We also collaborate with other medical specialists within Jefferson Health to make sure we address all your healthcare needs. Our continuity of care includes putting you in touch with a support network, comprised of specially trained nurses, social workers, and fellow transplant survivors. In addition, we consult with your referring physician throughout the entire course of your liver disease treatment. Our goal is to create a sustainable plan for your continued health.