Everyone's talking about concussions these days. But if you suffer one, where do you go? The Jefferson Comprehensive Concussion Center – the Delaware Valley's premier destination for concussion management – is a unique collaboration of concussion specialists, all centrally located at the Navy Yard in South Philadelphia.
Combining our staff's individual strengths and expertise in orthopedics and sports medicine, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, neuropsychology, psychiatry, neuro-ophthalmology, ophthalmology and optometry enables us to detect and treat mild, moderate or severe concussion with compassion and unparalleled expertise.
What Is a Concussion?
A concussion is a brain injury caused by a force to the head or direct force to the face, neck or chest that is transmitted to the head resulting in disrupted brain function. Typical signs and symptoms include physical, cognitive, visual and emotional symptoms such as headaches, amnesia, irritability, slowed reaction times, trouble concentrating and reading, as well as sleep pattern changes.
Those who are not properly treated after sustaining a concussion are more susceptible to delays in recovery, second impact syndrome and/or post-concussion syndrome.
Read Our Blog to Learn More About Concussions >
Patients Treated at the Concussion Center
Patients with concussive injuries may range from athletes, including members of community or school teams as well as individuals who play recreationally, to people injured in automobile, household, occupational or other mishaps that are not sports related. We can also help individuals with visual field disturbances, trouble reading, headaches while reading or other ocular eye problems that originate or are exacerbated due to concussion.
Specialized Concussion Services Available in Philadelphia
Physicians of the Jefferson Comprehensive Concussion Center perform the following tests and therapies to return patients to regular activities:
- Baseline testing is available to teams each athletic season when patients are asymptomatic, to provide a healthy, pre-concussive marker for comparison in the event of subsequent injury.
- ImPACT® (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) is a computerized concussion evaluation system that helps our physicians determine treatment management and safe return-to-classroom and return-to-play decisions for injured athletes.
- BESS (Balance Error Scoring System) is a balance test used as an additional tool to assist physicians in establishing balance and vestibular deficiencies.
- Neuropsychological testing is available to discern potential neurologic conditions responsible for unusually prolonged recovery in some patients. Such conditions include epilepsy, dementia, stroke, multiple sclerosis and ADD as well as head injury.
- Vestibular therapy is physical and/or occupational therapy for athletes with concussion that enables patients to ease back into activities, including athletics, school work and other aspects of their lives, at a gradual pace that limits the risk of reoccurrence of symptoms as their brains continue to heal.
- Visual/tracking therapy is provided by neurocognitive and occupational professionals who work closely with ophthalmologists to exercise variances on visual field and eye tracking, as well as cognitive endurance.
- Graduated return-to-classroom, sport and activity protocols are used to coordinate with school athletic trainers, administrators and nurses to ensure that patients resume academics and athletics at a safe and responsible pace.
Why Choose Jefferson for Concussive Injury Treatment in Philadelphia?
- A team of top specialists working together to provide leading-edge treatment options tailored to each patient. Our staff has received training in compliance with concussion laws in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia and New York.
- Doctors who are credentialed ImPACT consultants, with specialized training in sports medicine and concussion management
- A dedicated team of support professionals to help make recovery a seamless process for you and your family
- A multidisciplinary approach that covers treatment of all concussion injuries in children and adults, regardless of the source
- On-site physical and balance therapy, occupational therapy and cognitive rehabilitation
- Soundproof testing rooms for optimal baseline and post-concussive neurocognitive testing, such as ImPACT and our own customized Jefferson Comprehensive Concussion Center Neurocognitive Battery