Among the Nation's Best for Cancer
U.S. News has named Jefferson among the best hospitals in the nation for Cancer care.
Mammography is the best way to diagnose breast cancer early when it's more likely to be treated successfully. Sign up to receive an annual reminder.
The Division of Breast Imaging has excelled in mammography and multimodality breast imaging for more than 25 years. Specialists within the Division perform approximately 40,000 procedures annually, making it one of the most active breast imaging services in the country.
Jefferson-Honickman Breast Imaging Center in Center City and Women’s Diagnostic Center at Methodist Hospital in South Philadelphia provide comprehensive breast cancer screening and diagnostic services.
Our breast imaging radiologists and technologists are members of our multidisciplinary Jefferson Breast Care Team providing specialized care for women and men with both breast cancer and benign conditions of the breast. Our radiologists are subspecialists in breast imaging and interventions.
- Early breast cancer detection in women without breast symptoms
Diagnostic breast imaging
- Evaluation in women with breast symptoms or an abnormal screening mammogram
Core needle biopsy - Minimally invasive tissue diagnosis of breast abnormalities:
- Minimally invasive ultrasound-guided freezing therapy of breast fibroadenomas in office as an alternative to open surgery. The procedure uses extreme cold to completely and safely destroy abnormal tissue under local anesthesia, with no significant discomfort or scarring. Recovery is immediate.
Breast tomosynthesis (also called 3-D mammography or digital breast tomosynthesis)
- Advanced form of digital mammography (X-ray of the breast)
- Used for screening
Digital mammography, also called full-field digital mammography (FFDM)
- Conventional mammogram
- Used for screening and diagnostic imaging
- Diagnostic, or targeted ultrasound, is used to evaluate breast symptoms, such as a lump or a finding in a mammogram
- Screening ultrasound is used to supplement mammography in women with very dense breast tissue
- Used for screening women at high risk for breast cancer based on certain factors
- In addition to mammography and ultrasound, also used to evaluate certain breast symptoms and to aid in evaluating the extent of known cancer
Breast Specific Gamma Imaging (BSGI) (also called molecular breast imaging or MBI)
- Nuclear medicine study of the breast
- BSGI can be used as a screening or diagnostic test in women who cannot have an MRI
Appointments and Locations
Jefferson-Honickman Breast Imaging Center
1100 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
3rd Floor — Mammography Screening
4th Floor — Diagnostic Breast Imaging, Ultrasound, and Biopsy
- To schedule an appointment for breast imaging studies and procedures, call 215-955-5400.
- Early morning, lunchtime, and after work appointments are available.
Women’s Diagnostic Center at Methodist Hospital:
2301 South Broad Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19148
- To schedule an appointment for breast imaging studies and procedures, call 215-952-1234.
- Early morning, lunchtime, after work, and Saturday appointments are available.
Research and Education
Visit the Division of Breast Imaging at Thomas Jefferson University for more on research and education.