If you are one of the thousands of people in the Delaware Valley who has advanced heart failure, seek expert care at the Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Center at the Jefferson Heart Institute in Philadelphia. We provide cardiac patients with leading-edge medical and surgical options including state-of-the-art heart transplants.
Our proven track record in successful patient outcomes and our continuing advances in heart failure research are why the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute — a global leader in heart disease research, training and education — selected Jefferson for an $11.6 million grant to study heart failure. We are the Philadelphia area's gold standard for your cardiac care.
Why Choose Jefferson for Your Heart Transplant?
Among the Best in Heart Care
- The first hospital in Pennsylvania to implant a Jarvik 2000 Heart Assist System
- One of the highest patient survival rates in the Delaware Valley for heart transplants and heart plus other organ combination transplants
- Physicians who have collectively cared for more than 1,200 heart transplant patients and actively participate in the care of patients who have congestive heart failure, cardiomyopathies and ventricular assist devices (VAD)
- Surgical teams who perform heart and kidney dual organ transplants for patients who have serious illnesses and multiple organ failure
- One of the few hospitals in the nation to offer the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart
- Certified by The Joint Commission for Ventricular Assist Device Destination Therapy
- One of the highest volumes of VAD procedures in the Philadelphia region
- An Independence Blue Cross Blue Distinction Center for Transplants® for adult heart transplants
- Clinical trials using innovative drugs and monitoring devices not widely available at other cardiac treatment centers
Our Team Approach to Your Individualized Care
One of Jefferson's hallmarks is our team approach to patient-centered care. Your personally assigned transplant coordinator helps you through every step of the process — from your initial evaluation and tests, to placement on the organ waitlist, to preparing for your heart transplant surgery and ongoing follow-up — to provide you with peace of mind.
At Jefferson, you can often see all of your specialists in one day, so you won't need to schedule multiple visits to meet with all your heart care providers. Our team of highly experienced physicians, nurses and counselors works together to outline a strategy tailored for your unique physical, psychological and financial situation, regardless of your stage of heart disease. We also collaborate with other medical specialists within Jefferson to make sure we address all your healthcare needs.
Our continuity of care includes putting you in touch with a support network of specially trained nurses, social workers and fellow transplant survivors. We also consult with your referring physician throughout the entire course of your cardiac treatment. Our goal is to create a sustainable plan for your continued health.
Convenient Locations in the Delaware Valley for Pre- and Postoperative Care
Jefferson's ongoing "Patient for Life" commitment includes a personalized plan for monitoring your health along with your primary care or referring physician.
While your heart transplant will be performed at our Center City Philadelphia location, our patients who find it more convenient can elect to receive their preoperative care including evaluation and postoperative care at Main Line Health's Lankenau Medical Center in Montgomery County.
Jefferson Transplant Institute's other satellite facilities include our Northeast location, Jefferson at Smylie Times, and two locations in South Jersey. In 2015, our Transplant Institute expands to Bucks County. Also in 2015, we're implementing telemedicine (telecommunications technology) for remote evaluations and postoperative patient care.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Heart Failure and Transplant Team
Call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669) for a personal consultation.
schedule an appointment online