Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Professionals
This Practicum is for professionals who intend to teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) or who want to integrate mindfulness into their professional practice. It is modeled after the practicum offered at the Center for Mindfulness at University of Massachusetts Medical School.
Practicum participants will take an 8-week foundational MBSR course as participant observers. In addition, participants will engage in 10 seminar sessions with Diane Reibel, Ph.D., a certified MBSR teacher, and fellow participants to explore such questions as: “What draws me to teaching mindfulness or to integrating mindfulness into my work and what challenges do I face?”
Participants will acquire a deep understanding of the transformative possibilities in teaching mindfulness. They will gain an overview of the streams of scientific and academic research surrounding mindfulness-based interventions. They will have the opportunity to practice guiding other practicum participants in sitting and moving meditation and in facilitating group discussion and individual inquiry. Participants will develop the personal capacity to speak the truth from/of silence. There will be opportunities to explore ways to remain connected to the community of mindfulness professionals and to obtain further training.
The Practicum begins with a 4.5-hour seminar held one week before the MBSR class begins. The 8-weeks of the MBSR course begin with the 2.5-hour MBSR classes in the mornings, followed by 3-hour seminars in the afternoon of the same day. A full day of mindfulness practice is held during the week of the 5th or 6th MBSR class. Final meeting is a 4.5-hour seminar held the week after the MBSR course ends.
Continuing Education Credit Hours
- Sixty (60) CE hours for social workers. NASW has been designated as a pre-approved provider of professional continuing education for Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors (Section 47.36) by the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists and Professional Counselors. (cost: $15 for members and $25 for non-members payable to NASW).
- PBTA is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. PBTA maintains responsibility for this program and its content. PBTA is also an authorized provider for Continuing Education credits for Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Social Workers licensed in the state of Pennsylvania. This program provides forty-five (45) continuing education credits (cost: $60; checks payable to PBTA).
- A commitment to daily mindfulness practice is required.
- Participation in at least one 5-day or longer silent, teacher-led, mindfulness meditation retreat.
- Participation in an 8 week MBSR foundation course.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have attended the MBSR 7-day Residential Training/Retreat led by Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki Santorelli, or who have completed an 8-week MBSR foundation course.
The fee for this course is $1,800.
How to Apply
Please write an application letter which addresses the following:
- What draws you to participate in the Practicum.
- What your vision or intentions are for integrating mindfulness into your work.
- A description of your meditation training and your regularity of practice.
- A description of the silent, teacher-led, meditation retreats that you have attended.
- What experience you have with Mindfulness-Based Interventions (MBSR or MBCT trainings, participation in an MBSR course)
- A brief history of your psychological and spiritual development
Send a copy of your current CV or resume, which includes information about your professional training and work.
Please send your application letter and CV along with a $100 non-refundable application fee* to:
Jefferson Myrna –Brind Center of Integrative Medicine
1015 Chestnut Street, Suite 1212
Philadelphia, PA. 19107
Attn: Diane Reibel, PhD
*The application fee will be used toward your tuition if you are accepted into the Practicum
For More Information about the application process: Call 215-955-1376 or e-mail Diane.Reibel@jefferson.edu.
Wednesday, April 19 - 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Seminar only)
Wednesdays, April 26 through– June 14- 9:30 a.m. to noon (MBSR class); 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Seminar)
Full Day of Mindfulness- date TBA 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday, June 21 – 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (Seminar only)
1013 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107View event location on Google Maps